Scale-up Leaders' Academy
Helping your business grow is the best way to grow the region's economy.
If you lead an established fast-growing business and have ambition to scale-up quicker, join our high-impact Scale-up Leaders' Academy...
What is it?
Spread over 12 months, the Scale-up Leaders’ Academy is a 50-hour programme of support dedicated to helping high-growth business owners prepare to scale-up their companies faster through a mix of:
- Inspirational / role model led events
- Practical workshops
- Scale-up coaching
- Peer-to-peer mentoring support
- Action-based learning sessions
Who is it for?
It has been designed specifically for business owners who are currently running established high-growth companies, but want to scale-up faster. High-growth companies are those with more than 10 staff and turnover growth of at least 10% in each of the last three years. In the Academy’s inaugural year, the cohort will be made up of 15 North East based entrepreneurs who meet this criteria.
Is there a cost?
As the first year of the Academy is a trial, there is no cost for Entrepreneurs’ Forum members to join the programme (Forum membership costs £495 +VAT - apply here). The intention is that future cohorts will be charged a fee to participate.
Who will be delivering the programme?
Inspirational / role model led events will be facilitated by senior lecturers from Teesside University’s Leadership Development programme, who will be joined by successful entrepreneurs, business leaders and experts sharing their experience on how you can:
- Develop a high-growth mind-set
- Improve you leadership capability
- Enhance your sales and business development
- Access and manage the right finance for your business
- Recruit, retain and develop your staff
- Brand & market your business better
Practical workshops and scale-up coaching will be ran by Ian Kinnery, a respected business coach, entrepreneur and European Coach of the Year, with participants exploring what it means to scale-up, preparing to face the challenges of business growth and building actionable plans that allow them to achieve their targets.
Peer-to-peer mentoring support for each member of the Academy will be through the Entrepreneurs’ Forum’s mentoring match-making service, with experienced mentors who have been there and done it all before giving their time altruistically. The mentors will be on hand for participants to act as a sounding board, to offer advice and bounce ideas off throughout the programme.
Action-based learning sessions will be chaired by Ian Kinnery, who is also giving his time altruistically to support this trial. Here the cohort will meet to discuss openly the three things each agreed to achieve as a result of the practical workshops. They will review progress, support fellow participants, hold each other to account and share advice and experience.
- We will help you to raise your growth aspiration and get prepared to scale-up your company by understanding what your scale-up journey will involve, the challenges ahead and some of the tools that can help you on your way.
- We will explore the six biggest barriers to business growth, looking at the impact in each area once you are successful in achieving your growth ambitions.
- We will work with you to examine what your organisation needs to grow quickly, what must change and how you can do this by developing an actionable plan that helps you to cope with the changes scaling-up will bring to you and your company.
- We won’t show you what to do, but we will get you ready to scale-up and at the ‘starting-line’ with peer support around you and a clear idea of what you need to do, so that you can succeed in achieving your business goals and vision.
- You must attend all events and sessions.
- You must be open and honest with yourself, the coaches and mentors and within the group.
- During each practical workshop you must commit to three actions and send these to both the Entrepreneurs’ Forum and Ian Kinnery following the session.
- You must be willing to provide data on your company’s performance and complete research and feedback forms throughout the programme.
Inspiration event - 7th February, 8am - 11am
Practical workshop - 7th February, 11.15am - 1.45pm
Action-learning session - 9th March, 2pm - 4.30pm
Inspiration event - 30th March, 8am - 11am
Practical workshop - 30th March, 11.15am - 1.45pm
Action-learning session - 27th April, 2pm - 4.30pm
Sales & business development
Inspiration event - 25th May, 8am - 11am
Practical workshop - 25th May, 11.15am - 1.45pm
Action-learning session - 20th June, 2pm - 4.30pm
Inspiration event - 27th June, 8am - 11am
Practical workshop - 27th June, 11.15am - 1.45pm
Action-learning session - 18th July, 2pm - 4.30pm
Recruitment & retention
Inspiration event - 14th September, 8am - 11am
Practical workshop - 14th September, 11.15am - 1.45pm
Action-learning session - 10th October, 2pm - 4.30pm
Brand & marketing
Inspiration event - 9th November, 8am - 11am
Practical workshop - 9th November, 11.15am - 1.45pm
Action-learning session - 5th December, 2pm - 4.30pm
Newcastle University will be independently evaluating the Academy’s performance, from initial participant diagnostics to ongoing research and analysis. This will give us a robust method of analysing success that is over and above measuring turnover and job growth.
Applications are currently closed for the 2017 Scale-up Leaders' Academy.
To register your interest in future programmes, please get in touch.